You may qualify for these benefits if you:
- Received an other than dishonorable discharge.
- Have a service-connected disability rated at least 20 percent disabling by the USDVA.
- Need vocational rehabilitation to overcome an employment handicap.
- For more information, please visit: Who is eligible?
- You must meet with a VA Vocational Rehab counselor to apply for Chapter 31 benefits (not the VA Certifying Official at the College of Charleston). The VA Vocational Rehabilitation office for the College of Charleston is:US Department of Veterans Affairs North Charleston, 4600 Goer Drive, Suite 110, North Charleston, SC 29406. (843) 740-9114
- Once you have met with your VA Voc Rehab counselor, one of you must submit a VA form 22-1905 to the VA Certifying Official at the OFAVA.
- VA Certification Request once you have registered for all classes you plan to attend.
- Approximately one week after you have submitted your VA Certification Request, you may purchase your books and supplies in the College bookstore by taking them to the counter and providing your College of Charleston ID number.
Benefits cover tuition, mandatory fees, books, supplies and parking for a period of time determined by a VA counselor in the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program. If the authorized enrollment period is extended, the VA Vocational Rehabilitation counselor will notify the College.
Tuition, parking and book payments are made directly into your College of Charleston student account.
You may also receive a monthly stipend, which would be sent to your address of record.