Special Instructions for Parents

  1. Apply for a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID# for student and each parent (https://fsaid.ed.gov) prior to October 1. For more information on how to create your FSA ID you may watch a video here.
  1. Current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available October 1. The priority deadline to apply for the fall semester is March 1. Applications submitted after June 1 for the fall semester or November 15 for the spring semester will be processed; however, aid may not be available by the first day of classes.
  2. Once FAFSA sends you an acknowledgement email that your FAFSA was successfully processed, review your student aid report (SAR) for errors and make any necessary corrections online. Please double check the following information to ensure that it is correct:
    • SSN
    • Date of Birth
    • First Name
    • Last Name
  3. Students can review their Eligibility Link in MyCharleston for financial aid file information and missing requirements.
  4. Complete verification (if necessary), and any other documents to finish the FAFSA. Document requests can be found in CofC MyPortal under the title "Financial Aid tile; Student requirements". All verification documents must be submitted before a financial aid award package will be generated.
  5. Once the student is notified of federal awards through CofC MyPortal, they will need to accept or decline each award not already marked as accepted, then press the submit button at the bottom of the page.
  6. If the student accepts a Parent PLUS loan, the parent will need to request a Direct PLUS loan at www.studentaid.gov. The parent will need to login using their assigned FSA ID number.
  7. If the PLUS loan is approved, please complete the PLUS Master Promissory Note at www.studentaid.gov.

Undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in a degree-seeking program may be considered for financial assistance. Undergraduate students admitted as non-degree students are not eligible for federal or state aid but may qualify for special aid programs through the Office of Transfer Admissions and Adult Student Services.