Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) Chapter 30

You can get benefits through MGIB-AD if you served at least 2 years on active duty and you meet all of the requirements listed below.

All of these must be true. You:

  • Were honorably discharged, and
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or 12 hours of college credit, and
  • Meet other requirements

Learn more about MGIB-AD

What benefits can I get?

You may get up to 36 months of education benefits. We’ll pay the benefits monthly. The amount you’ll receive depends on these factors:

  • Your length of service, and
  • The type of education or training program you choose, and
  • Your category (as defined above), and
  • Whether you qualify for a college fund or kicker, and
  • How much you’ve paid into the $600 Buy-Up program
    Learn more about the $600 Buy-Up program

Note: You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB-AD benefits. This may change depending on your situation.

Apply for benefits

You can submit your Application for VA Benefits (VA Form 22-1990) online.
Apply online now